Pages

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Exploring 3D Shapes

Lately, we have been integrating Math and art a lot. In an attempt to explore 3 D shapes, my sweet heart ended up making many colourful models . And the joy doubles when we are able to accomplish such work with the very simple materials that we have at home. Being a dominant spatial learner, my boy thoroughly enjoyed this activity since comprehending 3 D images and shapes is very easy for him. 










While parents and educators are worried nowadays that children are starting to loose focus by the stimulation of high energy distractions from the surrounding environment, this is one such activity that can really slow down a child and take them to the meditative world. For my son, what kept him occupied and challenged was to get the structure of the car he made, to put the model upright without having it to fall. Though it was challenging for him, he looked very calm and focused. It was an opportunity for me to observe him and understand that he will not give up. 



What activities have you done that really was relaxing for you and at the same time helped you to integrate a key concept in learning?

Enjoy learning and sharing.

4 comments:

  1. Your son has made gorgeous structures! His creative endeavours always bring a smile to my face.... :)

    My little one absolutely loves this activity. We've made these with so many things - grapes, marshmellows, playdough!

    To your question - we made Diwali cards recently with pulses and grains and my daughter learned some amazing concepts about geography, export, import. Sounds too much for a 6-year old but it came naturally as extension to her art activity.
    Here:
    http://mommylabs.gorgeouskarma.com/art_craft_projects_kids/making-diwali-cards-and-dia-with-pulses-and-learning-geography/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Are you on twitter? If not, I recommend joining. It's a great place for nuggets of information sharing.
    This is my handle: twitter.com/MommyLabs
    See ya...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I feel it is one more thing to manage. I agree it is easy to share quick things in twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rashmie, I will let him know that you felt his structures are gorgeous. It is a neat idea to brainstorm about imports and exports while doing a food art project. Thanks for the link up.
    Prabha

    ReplyDelete